Monday, March 08, 2010

The Independent “No”

At work, I’m trying to help my sub-managers learn to say no. More specifically, I’m trying to convince them it’s okay to say no to me.

As much as I like being in charge, and as much as I want people to support my ideas, I don’t need a team of people who agree with everything I do. In fact, I’ve tried to build a team of people who are strong where I’m weak and weak where I’m strong.

What I need (what every leader and movement needs) is people who are willing to disagree with me and defend their own independent judgment. When I screw up, I need teammates who will stand up and tell me that your idea is terrible, and here’s why ? even if the final decision is mine.

In particular, I’m looking for three things in myself and others: conviction, honesty, and reason.
  • Conviction means that you trust your own judgment and are willing to stand by what you believe is best, even if your boss/advisor/teammate/friend says otherwise.
  • Honesty is the willingness to say what you mean without hiding behind euphemisms, throwing around exaggerations, or jumping onto the soapbox.
  • Reason is the ability to defend your opinion, to give justifications for what you believe and why. It’s also a willingness to change your mind when or if you see that your reasons are flawed. Reason keeps conviction from becoming dogma or obstinacy.
These principles are key to any relationship, whether it’s for business, romance, or friends. But let’s just talk from a work/business standpoint for now.

As a manager, I need to know that my team members are able to tell me an independent “no” when needed. That means I need to consistently demonstrate that I’m open to criticism. Saying I’m okay with criticism is easy; showing it through action is the real test.

Note that being open to criticism doesn’t mean I’ll change my opinion every time I’m criticized! It doesn’t even mean I have to agree ? only that I take the criticism seriously.

I also need to be open and honest when I’m the one giving criticism or praise. I can’t be the kind of manager who says nice things to someone all year, then tears them apart in their annual review. My teammates to know that my praise is genuine and my criticism is unbiased. That’s one hell of an obligation for me. Every day, I learn a little more about how to honor it.

Here are the actionable takeaways:

If you’re a leader or in a position of authority, it’s your responsibility to help your people ? and yourself ? develop conviction, honesty, and reason. Think about this every day.

If you’re a follower (in the very best sense), remember that the people “in charge” need you to stand up and be an independent voice. Even the greatest leaders can get stuck in a rut from time to time. They need you to get them out and moving again.

On the other hand, if you’re following a leader who can’t respect your independent “no” (and by respect, I mean giving your opinion serious consideration, even if they ultimately overrule it), you need to find someone else to follow.

Or, even better, become someone worth following.

(via The Art of Great Things)

tags:

2A 2G2E // ΑΩ 40D A40 adidas Aerial Android Angels Armin van Buuren Atlanta B/W Baseball BBQ Beach beBe Beer Big Bear Big2 Bike Birthdays BK BlackBerry Blog Boarding Bohol Bomi Bon Voyage Book C'est la Vie Calico Camping Cancun Canon 10D Canon 30D Canon 40D Canon G2 Canon IXUS Carlsbad Catalina Charlotte Chicago Christmas Contax Aria Crab Creative Dale Carnegie Dallas Diana Krall DMC Dodgers Dogs Dolphin DORA Doraemon Drawing Driver Selfie Family Flowers France Fremont Fresno Friends Fukuoka Gear Germany Golf Google GoPro Graduation Grand Canyon Guatemala Haleakalā National Park Half Moon Bay Halloween Harajuku Hawaii Hollywood Bowl Home Houston Hymn iPad iPhone Isla Socorro Jacksonville JaClub Japan Kendo/Kumdo Kids Korea Lake Elsinore LaLaDang Las Vegas Laughlin Leica R3 Live Photo Lobster Lomo Los Angeles Lupin Mac/Tech/Gadget Macro Mammoth Manta Maui Melodic Progressive Mexico Mix Moleskine Molokini Crater Movie Music Musical Napa Nephew New Year New York Niece Nikon Nikon Coolpix Nikon D40 Nikon D70 North Shore NRA O'ahu OAL Oceanside Olympics Olympus TG-4 Olympus u-10 Onsen Orlando Oxnard OZ Palm Springs Panasonic Lumix Panglao Pantages Paris Pechanga Pentax PewPew Philippines Phoenix Photo 2002 Photo 2003 Photo 2004 Photo 2005 Photo 2006 Photo 2007 Photo 2008 Photo 2009 Photoblog Photography Picnic Powder PSD Quote Rain Rainbow Redondo Ro Roppongi Ryu Salt Lake City San Clemente San Diego San Francisco San Jose Santa Barbara Screenshot Scuba Seafood Seattle Seiko Shark Shibuya Shinjuku Silent Disco Singapore SKY june Snorkle Snow Sofitel Solvang Sonoma Sony DSC-W100 Spain TBT Tiesto Tokyo Trance Turtle Twin Falls Twitter UK Uni Valentine Vancouver via Flickr Video Waikiki Wedding Wine World Cup XOXO Yashica Yosemite Yufuin